Copyright Friends of Loudoun Kirk © 2015
Loudounkirk Village as viewed from the gates of Loudoun Kirk. Built originally for estate workers, it was later in leased by Wm Baird & Co. Hurlford for miners. Although some residents remained in the houses, they had no facilities and the cottages were becoming derelict. The last tenant moved into Galston in the 1960s
There are many ‘miners rows’ in the area, none so quaint as Loudounkirk village. Others were not so lucky such as the Tawry (Tarry) Rows are known in Galston due to the use of tarred cloth to cover the roofs.
Reports on miners housing can be seen on the Ayrshirehistory.org website where reports on conditions of many Ayrshire mining villages can be found.
MINING IN LOUDOUN
|Lady Flora Hastings|
|And & Wm Young|
|Hugh Brown 1803-1885|
|Letters to America|
|Report on Loudoun Estate|
|Mining In Loudoun|
|Barr Castle Presentation|
|Notes on journey to Argentina|
|Plan of Burial Ground|
|Credits & Acknowledgements|